Re: lynx-dev LYNX IS ELITIST

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX IS ELITIST
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:34:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>rest if Eldridge's message:
>===========================
>The LYNX browser will remain "odd man out" as long as it
>is presented to elitist nerds and not the ordinary surfer
>like myself.
>
>I just downloaded Lynx2-8.Zip and unzipped it to over 5 Megs
>of arcane information and directories. After being "bombed"
>with technical bullshit much too complicated for the average
>WWW surfer I nuked it.
>
>I will not be using Lynx until it can be installed on my
>computer in the "user-friendly" way that  Netscape,
>IE and even Mosaic are.

I don't know what computer you're on, but there is a Mac version of Lynx.
(It could use a *few* more GUI niceties like copy and paste, and the option
of a Bookmarks menu.. but mostly I don't want it "fluffed up".)

Someone else will disagree with this, but Lynx mostly runs on UNIX systems,
where you *need* the "arcane information and directories" and can't just
bundle up an already-compiled binary.