Re: lynx-dev Lynx386 & Caldera DR-DOS DPMI

From: Mark H. Wood
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx386 & Caldera DR-DOS DPMI
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 08:22:31 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> Marc D. Williams <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Just wondering something. Has anyone used Lynx with OpenDOS/DR-DOS
> > and its DPMI?
> > I took a stab at it and when I brought up Lynx the machine rebooted.
> > I had renamed cwsdpmi first, btw. Tried it twice and the machine
> > rebooted each time. Turned DPMI off and went back to cwsdpmi.
>
> Hmm, the evidence I have suggests that Novell's DPMI implementation is
> correct,
> albeit about 2 times slower than Microsoft's. Most likely it's DJGPP's fault,
> since its idea of DPMI is light years apart from the written DPMI spec. I
> guess

Which spec is that?  cwsdpmi, as I recall, implements DPMI 1.0, while
Microsoft has never gone beyond 0.9.  There are significant differences
*in the spec.s*.  Nevertheless see below.

> I need to check whether DJGPP works with Microsoft's (Ralph Lipe's) DPMI
> implementation, which is the reference (hey, Ralph is the author of DPMI!). If

Stuff compiled with DJGPP works just fine for me on Win95, which is (among
other things) a DPMI provider and certainly written by Microsoft.  The
same stuff also seems just fine using cwsdpmi.

> it doesn't, than as far as written official specs are concerned this is
> DJGPP's
> fault, and I think that the Lynx community is exactly THE group that should be
> promoting adherence to written specs, be they HTML or DPMI.

Agreed -- this group has a strong interest in promoting adherence to real
standards.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   address@hidden
I'd rather be designing and coding.