Re: lynx-dev TEXTAREA (was Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums")

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TEXTAREA (was Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums")
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:15:47 -0400

From: Rob <address@hidden>

>Howard Kaikow wrote:
>>
>> What is the status of the fix to the TEXTAREA?
>
>I don't know what fix you mean, but I have another point...

For those who perhaps missed the earlier discussion, earlier in the
year we discussed the fact that the way that lynx handles textareas is
different than other browsers.  And in fact, from the msg forwarded
to the list, it was at least one person's opinion that lynx's
handling of textarea doesn't meet HTML 4.0's definition (and I
seem to recall there were similar feelings expressed about
earlier HTML dtds).

The point of concern is that lynx implements a form's textarea specfications
as the maximum number of rows (and columns?  I forget the status of
this question) rather than as the minimum.

The problem of course is how do we in a text window implement textarea
in such a way that one can _leave_ the textarea.  Any control
character chosen means that character can not easily be used within
the textarea itself.

I wonder if the tab key might be able to be used to indicate that one
wants to move from the textarea to the next field on the page (assuming
there is another place on the page to which one can move...)