Re: lynx-dev TEXTAREA (was Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums")

From: David Hardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TEXTAREA (was Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums")
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:32:17 +0100

address@hidden (Larry W. Virden) wrote:

> The point of concern is that lynx implements a form's textarea specfications
> as the maximum number of rows (and columns?  I forget the status of
> this question) rather than as the minimum.
>
> The problem of course is how do we in a text window implement textarea
> in such a way that one can _leave_ the textarea.  Any control
> character chosen means that character can not easily be used within
> the textarea itself.
>
> I wonder if the tab key might be able to be used to indicate that one
> wants to move from the textarea to the next field on the page (assuming
> there is another place on the page to which one can move...)

Another possibility is to use a special character to introduce a
function, preferably one that's not commonly used in input into a text
area. For example, if \ were the special character then \ followed by
anything other than another \ could mean 'do the associated function'
(for example, \ followed by left-arrow would mean 'back out to the
next higher link') while \\ would mean 'put a \ in the text area'.
This is similar to the trick used by the C language in strings to
introduce control characters.

David

| David Hardy,                        | E-mail: address@hidden |
| Department of Information Services, +-------------------------------+
| University of Northumbria,          | Silence is not only golden,   |
| Northumberland Building,            | it's seldom misquoted.        |
| Ellison Place,                      |                               |
| Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8ST, U.K.  |               - Bob Monkhouse |