Re: lynx-dev TEXTAREA (was Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums")

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TEXTAREA (was Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums")
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:00:23 -0400 (EDT)

980424 Rob wrote:
>> Benjamin C. W. Sittler proposed spawning an external editor
>> to solve the TEXTAREA inadequacy vis-a-vis HTML 4.0
> what about people on shell accounts?
> most administrators wouldn't be happy letting arbitrary people have access
> to a text editor (which is essentially an unrestricted shell).

this has been raised before:
surely the answer is to allow spawning an external editor,
but only if enabled at compile time,
similar to all those restrictions around anonymous accounts.
would this be more than a couple of simple additions to the code?

once again, lynx-dev needs to keep in mind its  2  types of installer:
ordinary folx like me & Rob (& Ben?), who compile Lynx just for ourselves,
& sysadmins who compile Lynx for a community, which may contain rogues.