Re: lynx-dev Overriding the keymap

From: John E. Davis
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Overriding the keymap
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:26:59 -0400

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:10:27 -0400, Kristin McNally <address@hidden> said:
>When you change a keymap in the lynx.cfg file, ie - KEYMAP:g:DO_NOTHING,
>how does this change in lynx.cfg override the keymap[ ] and force the
>'g' key to do nothing?

When lynx reads a key, it calls LYgetch.  This returns what I call a
keysym.  It the current implementation, the `g' key on your keyboard
will cause LYgetch to return the keysym 0x67 ('g').  To determine the
action that keysym 0x67 invokes, lynx uses the `keymap' array, e.g.,
`action = keymap [0x67]'.  If in your lynx.cfg file, you set
`KEYMAP:g:DO_NOTHING' then you are telling lynx to associate the
action `DO_NOTHING' with the 'g' or 0x67 keysym, e.g.,
`keymap[0x67]=DO_NOTHING'.  So, keymap[0x67] will result in
DO_NOTHING.  Unfortunately, this will cause havoc when you are in an
editing field where ou would like the `g' key to simply insert itself.
For that reason, lynx uses a different map called `EditBinding' to map
the keysym to editing actions.  Apparantly you cannot customize these
bindings.

--John