Re: lynx-dev suggestions for new features

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: lynx-dev suggestions for new features
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:52:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, David Combs wrote:
>Of course, we COULD do like emacs and vi and have MULTLIPLE-CHARACTER
>commands, which would open a wide door for future commands.

If you have multiple character commands, hopefully you would go to the bottom
of the screen (like when using ex in vi).

Sure, there are things like 100j that don't put you in a mode, but unless
you're referring to numerical things like that, having multi-character
commands in lynx wouldn't be great -- without such a mode that it's
obvious that you're entering multiple chars for a command..

Thus, I propose the "special key" be :, just like in vi, and it goes to
the bottom of the screen to enter the rest of the command..

(Also, yeah I know vim uses gq<motion> to reformat text and such, and I love
it..  but still..)

>Emacs uses ESC as the prefix char for multiple-char commands,
>and vi uses ":".  Why not copy one of those?

good!