lynx-dev sendmail (was: yout (sic) mail)

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev sendmail (was: yout (sic) mail)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 08:07:19 +0100 (BST)

> The ISP wouldn't have to be wide-open;  it might accept any such addresses
> claiming to be at the limited sites/domains it relays for.

The normal anti-spam rules for senmdmail use the reverse resolved IP
address of the immediate upstream MTA, not the envelope From.  The basic
logic is:

If destination domain (envelope To) is local, accept.
If peer IP address is friendly (a domain that would normally use the MTA
as its smart host), accept.
Bounce, with service unavailable status.

> I admit ignorance coming late to the thread, I hadn't initially realized MS
> had a sendmail for NT that was so similar to the open source one.  I don't

It doesn't.  sendmail, as well as a program, is a de facto API on Unix.  Most
mail user agents submit mail by issuing a sendmail command, but that doesn't
mean that the sendmail performs more than about 5% of the capabilities of
the real thing.  In this case it actually accepts a parameter, -r, which
would always be provided by the configuration file for any real Unix MTA.

Examples on Unix are:

smail uses options very similar to sendmail and can be aliased to sendmail
in the filesystem.

MMDF has a stub implementation of sendmail, just for injecting mail, but
the official way of injecting is to use its "submit" command.

(MTA = Mail Transport/Transfer Agent)