lynx-dev Side effects of deleting a bookmark

From: pg
Subject: lynx-dev Side effects of deleting a bookmark
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 17:24:28 -0600 (MDT)

Hello Lyncei,

I have discovered that deleting a bookmark from my
bookmarks.html file with the "r" command can alter
the permissions, UID, or GID of my bookmarks file,
or, in the extreme case, convert a symbolic link to
a regular file.

Is this behavior appropriate?

I noticed this when OS/390 wrote messages to stderr
when the attempt to change the GID failed.

Would it be better if LYBookmarks.c used an explicit

    system("cp /tmp/workfile bookmarks && rm /tmp/workfile");

rather than the present

    system("mv /tmp/workfile bookmarks");

and completely omitted the attempt to rename?  I could write
the patch for Unix easily.

-- gil