Re: lynx-dev SCROLL_STEP

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: Re: lynx-dev SCROLL_STEP
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 15:15:09 -0400

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Laura Eaves wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 10:37:15 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: David Combs <address@hidden>
> >   Well, we must then SPLIT the terminology "number keys":
> > For THOSE "number keys", no prefix-zero is needed, it seems.
> >
> > At any rate, the DOCUMENTATION must DISTINGUISH these TWO
> > sets of number keys.
>
> But are they really different?

They may send out the same character on screen, but the keyboard scan code
it sends to the keyboard controller is different.  However, when running
Lynx under a shell account, reading keyboard scan code from remote
terminal requires 'doorway mode', which causes both sides to send/receive
hardware/OS dependent scan codes.  I am not sure if Unix support doorway
mode at all, but many DOS BBS servers do.

> When I have keypad_mode set to Numbers-As-Arrows the
> number keys above the alphabetic keys also act like arrows.
> At least from what I've seen the number keypad at the right
> is superfluous.  That being said, what does "Num Lock" do?
> I've always wondered that.

It will depends on the terminal emulation settings of both sides.
However, in most platforms and applications, it toggles between numeric
output and cursor controls on the keypad keys (Mac's Extended Keyboard II
seems to be an exception, which always in numeric mode regardless of num
lock settings in most apps). However, with the popularity of PS/2-style
keyboards on _any_ modern platform (hey, even Macs use them), there are
little needs for turning off numlock.