Re: lynx-dev your 2 weeks' window

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev your 2 weeks' window
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 02:15:44 -0700 (PDT)

I ate the fortune cookie first, then read what Philip Webb wrote:

> 980428 Rob Partington wrote:
> > I'm free from work commitments right now (for about two weeks)
> > and the only computers I have access to are an ancient (8086, 1M) portable,
> > and a slightly less ancient palmtop (still 8086 though).

What region are you in, Rob?  (Perhaps some 386+ Linux access could be
arranged, mail me seperate)

> > I should be able to get some work done from Friday for about a week,
> > so if anyone's got anything they particularly want me to do, mail me
> > (address@hidden) and I'll try and schedule it around the other things
> > I'm thinking of doing (mail me if you want to be bored with that, too)
>
> among items on the waiting list of bugs & improvements are:
>
> (1) caching files called up with  \ : see Archive 980327

Primary arguments on this seem to relate to whether we should:
1. always keep the source version in cache and render locally, or
2. do something funky to arrange for the rendered and non-rendered versions
   to look different for the cache system.

Either might be serious work, as either the renderer or the cache system
has to be hacked.

I feel the first is more elegant and would save a lot of net bandwidth...
I read enough source, sometimes I keep a seperate VC with lynx open for
source reading.

> (2) a bug in 2-8 involving  /  and  n : see Archive 980329
> (3) backward searching : see Archive 980423
> (4) a  SCROLL-STEP  user-defined global : see Archive 980425
> (5) calling up an editor for TEXTAREA : see Archive 980424 :
>     this is more controversial due to security,
>     but could be subject to the same controls as for anonymous users.

...and appears to still be undergoing severe discussion, highlights include
argument over what to use as a quit-key due to cross-platform concerns.  My
vote, start with something probably ok, but make some sort of entry in
lynx.cfg for LEAVE_INTERNAL_EDITOR_KEY.

I'm not sure it qualifies as small, except inasmuch as we already have an
internal editor for crippled/anonymous mail.