lynx-dev Lynx problems

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx problems
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:22:17 -0400

Lynx version: 2.7.2 (SunOS)

When I try to reach this URL by typing it directly:

ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi:/pub/msdos/programming/specs/dpmispec.arj

Lynx can't recognize it and try to view it on screen.  After I interrupted
it in the middle, the screen goes crazy and keeps on sending keystrokes to
Lynx in a cycle (which shouldn't as I hadn't pasted anything at that
time).  When I suspended that process and come back, it still caught in
the loop and redrawing like crazy until I kill the process.  Surprisingly,
during the rendering stage, I can still press ^Z to suspend the process.

This bring to me one question.  Shouldn't Lynx at least ask the user first
before handling an unidentified URL before assuming text/plain?  Or do I
have to adjust .Mailcap and .mime.types and lynx.cfg before I can change
Lynx's disastarous default behaviour, _especially on FTP access_?