Re: lynx-dev Lynx problems

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx problems
Date: 29 Apr 1998 12:15:42 -0600

>>>>> "JP" == Jacob Poon <address@hidden> writes:

[Lynx 2.7.2 tries to display binary file retrieved by ftp]

JP> This bring to me one question.  Shouldn't Lynx at least ask the
JP> user first before handling an unidentified URL before assuming
JP> text/plain?  Or do I have to adjust .Mailcap and .mime.types and
JP> lynx.cfg before I can change Lynx's disastarous default behaviour,
JP> _especially on FTP access_?

You can change it in your lynx.cfg, as well.

How is Lynx supposed to know the file type of an ftp file?  Ftp
doesn't know from MIME.  It might well be better to offer something
like "D)ownload, V)iew, or C)ancel" on ftp URLs, but remember that you
have to do that /for all ftp URLs/ in all circumstances.  Really, you
ought to use an ftp client for fetching ftp files for which you know
the location, or at worst wget.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |