Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:40:56 -0400

Michael Warner <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 29, 1998, Heather Stern <address@hidden> wrote:
>       [...]
>> Maybe a better thing would be to have a "render dammit" key which
>> would force an attempt to render the present page.  That way, it's
>> sent like the server said to... but the user can override it AFTER it
>> has arrived.
>        [...]
>[and...]
>
>On Wed, Apr 29, 1998, Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> wrote:
>        [...]
>>       Lynx does have a force_html mode, for cases in which the user
>> knows that the MIME type based on suffix maps would be wrong, but at
>> present it's only useable as a command line switch (and of course
>> Lynx should not normally override a Content-Type header from an http
>> server).
>        [...]
>
>I tried the -force_html switch (Lynx Version 2.8pre.3), and it
>doesn't seem to work on this page.  The only other way I've used it,
>which worked, is to view email html attachments that are mis-labeled
>plain/text.  Is the purpose of the switch in fact to override the
>Content-Type header, or is that a misunderstanding, on my part, of its
>purpose?

        It's intended for local files which have been named things like
"My HTML file" instead of "My HTML file.html".  But the code is there
so it would be easy to add a command to reload and override any headers
as well (one also must decide on a command key, from the precious few
that are left, which wouldn't be better saved for something else :).

>[And finally...]
>
>On Wed, Apr 29, 1998, David Combs <address@hidden> wrote:
>        [...]
>> If other sites are this way, OR if these .htm-files DO read OK in
>> netscape and M$, then lynx probably needs some way to prefix the page
>> with title or whatever is needed to make it parse as html.
>
>Netscape 3.01 shows me the page un-rendered, same as lynx.

        It's an IEism, and no amount of complaining about it has induced
MicroSoft to change it.

                                Fote
--
Foteos Macrides (address@hidden)