Re: lynx-dev Oh well... it's been nice... :-|

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Oh well... it's been nice... :-|
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:47:37 +0100 (BST)

> space for under $500/yr? I wonder if the devillish MSIE
> "robots" had anything to do with it...

According to the maintainer of the imdb site, the MSIE robots are well
behaved and can be squashed by robots.txt, and generate a modified user
agent string, which also allows them to be rejected.  The problem is with the
small players, who find it in their commercial interest to not allow
sites to filter them.

Lynx is, of course a problem here, as it doesn't support robots.txt and
allows the user agent string to be forged.  Forging the user agent string
to get round a grabbing/web accelerator block just leads to escalation of
the war, with other tests being added to recognise the browsers.