Re: lynx-dev Lynx problems

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx problems
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:17:15 +0100 (BST)

>                           It seems the MSIE's plague of automatic filename
> extension handling is really, really popular.

MSIE is much worse than that.  It looks inside files and deduces type,
like Unix magic numbers, and will use that in preference to both
MIME media types and extension; a plain/text, .txt file, that looks
like HTML, will be treated as though it were text/html.

On the other hand, if you have a helper application and you don't have
the right file type, it can all break down.  I wanted to serve copies
of a report as plain text (for better printing control of what was
originally a Unix print file), and wanted to force it to be handled by
Wordpad (which is universal on '95/NT 4 and understands form feed), but
I gave up trying to do this with media types etc.

(We use RTF as first choice and PDF has been banned by the marketing people,
even though I've written most of a text to pdf utility at home.)