Re: lynx-dev Lynx problems

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx problems
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 03:18:11 -0500 (CDT)

You (David Woolley) wrote:
> > It seems the MSIE's plague of automatic filename
> > extension handling is really, really popular.
>
> MSIE is much worse than that.  It looks inside files and deduces type,
> like Unix magic numbers, and will use that in preference to both
> MIME media types and extension; a plain/text, .txt file, that looks
> like HTML, will be treated as though it were text/html.

Is that why I see so many TEXT files with an HTML header? ie. They
set the fonts and background with HTML tags and then have 25+ pages
of text with no <pre></pre> which, shall we say, renders rather
"interesting" in lynx ;-)

> (We use RTF as first choice and PDF has been banned by the marketing people,
> even though I've written most of a text to pdf utility at home.)

May I as why? (not use PDF, that is). We have been thinking of offering
our Repair FAQ's in PDF format somewhat to prevent ccontent-messing along
the way but mainly to ease printing them in a "book" format (since, for
example, Sam's VCR repair FAQ is ~200 pages). Right now we have it as
HTML segmented, HTML one file, and TEXT print. I'm wondering if your
marketing people have some stats or "rumors" that I don't. Is PDF
going to be replaced by something better? Soon?

Oh, is that utility you're writing GNU or $$$? :-)

Take care.