Drawing a line in the sand [Was: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Drawing a line in the sand [Was: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 05:49:28 -0400

So where does the line get drawn between lynx supporting only a defined
set of features based on standards and it supporting what a percentage of
sites are doing?

To date to me it has seemed to be a mix of
o       what whoever was willing to do the work wanted lynx to do,
o       what new standards for HTTP and HTML defined,
o       what the current coordinator was willing to consider adding

I suspect there are going to be an increasing number of weird 'broken'
features that will increasingly appear as more and more Windows users
go online using the Microsoft products.  If that is the case, then for
lynx users to be able to use these sites, some means for compensating
for bad programming practices should be considered.

In other areas, has anyone looked at HTTP 1.1 and HTML 4.0 to see what
could/should be added to lynx to follow any closer to these standards?

We already have discussed to death the other 3 most requested 'features'
for lynx - better tables, somekind of handling of javascript, and
some kind of handling for java.

An interesting side note - When Yahoo opened their free mail service,
the only way to access it was via a browser that supported frames and
Javascript.  however I notice this week a note on the opening screen
that mentions support for browsers without javascript.