Re: lynx-dev May 4th subscription instructions

From: David Woolley
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 10:41:37 +0100 (BST)

> Cron jobs are your friend.  MS-Windows, the Plus! pack has a scheduler (and
> cron has been very nicely ported to NT).  I dunno about other platforms.

And phone charges your enemy.  I'm not prepared to run a PPP dial from
a cron job on my home system because I don't know how long to keep the link
up to ensure delivery and I don't want to risk the closed down failing.

Also, if they are running modern list software, the list server will send
back a random number which needs to be returned before the subscription
takes.  This is because some people do denial of service attacks by
forging large numbers of list subscriptions.