Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1dev.9

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1dev.9
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 16:41:42 -0400 (EDT)

> 980504 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > 980503 Philip Webb wrote:
> > > i now notice you say "new" bug, so maybe you haven't forgotten,
> > > but there's still the bug in the effect of  n ,
> > > which fails to find & place the next string occurrence accurately:
> > > see your reply to me 980329 1306 "will check".
> > yes - being reminded, I looked at it for a while this weekend with no
> > immediate solution.  It is entangled in some logic that Klaus and Fote
> > did differently - so I have to find where the change should be made.
>
> i can read C, but have always been intimidated by the sheer length of Lynx.
> if you tell me which  .c  files to look at & maybe which line ranges,
> i might be able to do something myself
> & at least have an easy way of dipping my toe in the water ...
this is gonna hurt (but maybe it'll be good experience ;-).
Start from LYMainLoop.c, there are a couple of cases LYK_WHEREIS
and LYK_NEXT.  They call a common function textsearch (in LYSearch.c),
which in turn calls www_user_search (in GridText.c).  That's where the
interesting differences start: Klaus moved some logic into a utility
function adjust_search_result -- since otherwise www_user_search is
much like 2.7.2's I assume that the problem lies in how adjust_search_result
is coded or integrated.

(I saw these differneces while aligning things, but don't know the history
or intent - perhaps a little of that would help analyze the problem).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden