Re: lynx-dev \ as many times as I want

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev \ as many times as I want
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:04:29 -0400 (EDT)

980504 Jacob Poon wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 1998, Philip Webb wrote:
>> yup & can we please keep the temperature down ... ?
>> some of us like occasionally to practise our put-down technique:
>> feel free to join in & stay really cool ...

and the same (with a smile) for JP ...

>> i think i raised this originally & it keeps getting diverted off course.

which is what seems to be happening yet again (no smile) ...

>> what i want -- & i believe a lot of other people too -- is to be able
>> to hit  \  & not lose the existing rendered file: THAT'S ALL!
>> people don't use  \  often, but when they do current behaviour is annoying.
>> what is involved is getting Lynx to assign a different name to each version
>> -- ie some character needs to be added to one of them,
>> but not  \  itself, which would create problems with DOS -- ,
>> so that BOTH versions can reside in the normal cache of visited links
>> (i have  <= 20  cached at any one time: i read a lot of newspaper articles).
> How about adding a 'urlsrc:' header to store raw version of _any_ URL,
> not just HTTP? eg  http://www.w3.org/  will have a source version called:
>  urlsrc:http://www.w3.org/
> This will allow sources & rendered URL contents to be uniquely identified,
> and stored without platform limitations (at least in any OS I aware of).
> it doesn't seem to require as many major changes to the sources
> as the latter ones, as Lynx already has cache schemes,
> and the only real problem is how to identify both versions of an URL.

this looks like a simple solution:
do our C programmers have any comments on this one?

> it seemed the only reason it hasn't been implemented is
> because certain key developers loathe any close resemblance
> to a 'broken' GUI browser or GUI environmental ideas,
> even for sensible features on every other browser in the world but Lynx.

there's some sense in this, but be careful not to exaggerate:
there is a bit of religious-style fundamentalism around lynx-dev,
which some of us try to argue against when it gets too severe.
at present, the club is refreshingly free of guruism (big grin) ...