lynx-dev Re: msg00032.html (was shift_jis problem)

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: lynx-dev Re: msg00032.html (was shift_jis problem)
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 14:41:36 +0400 (MSD)

>         That bug report from Poon reflects a lack of understanding about
> the difference between the document charset and the Display Character Set.
> What he describes Lynx as doing appears to be what it should be doing.
> However, I tracked down a URL for the FAQ (would have been nice if he had
> included it the the message):
>
>         http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/faq/king_of_fighters_97_jp.txt

This text in shift_jis.
It's layout for display=shift_jis or euc-jp looks reasonable and stable.
Others display charsets represent a great mess in v2.8,
a little investigation was done:

The file was downloaded and the text was converted to HTML within <pre>,
it is interesting to note that META charset had no effect for _this_
local html file (!) if check '='InfoPage,
so I set assume_local_charset=shift_jis.
Both variants (text and html) were checked for different
display charsets - each layout was printed to a separate local file:
there were no two equal among them found (!)

Could somebody explain me how the kanji shift_jis should looks like
on "7bit approx" or any other display charset which have unicode tables?
How v2.7.2 does this job (I have no 2.7.2 installed)?

Leonid.