Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 15:22:41 -0400

Bela Lubkin <address@hidden> wrote:
>Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>> Michael Warner <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> >I tried the -force_html switch (Lynx Version 2.8pre.3), and it
>> >doesn't seem to work on this page.  The only other way I've used it,
>> >which worked, is to view email html attachments that are mis-labeled
>> >plain/text.  Is the purpose of the switch in fact to override the
>> >Content-Type header, or is that a misunderstanding, on my part, of its
>> >purpose?  =
>
>>      It's intended for local files which have been named things like
>> "My HTML file" instead of "My HTML file.html".  But the code is there
>> so it would be easy to add a command to reload and override any headers
>> as well (one also must decide on a command key, from the precious few
>> that are left, which wouldn't be better saved for something else :).
>
>Why not use '\', i.e. the SOURCE command?  That makes the SOURCE command
>more symmetric -- a general toggle between handling data as text/html
>vs. text/plain.

        That's already overloaded for such a purpose.  When the Content-Type
is text/plain, it's normally rendered as pseudo-HTML with wrapping of
long lines.  If you toggle to source, TABs are expanded and 8-bit or
multi-byte characters are converted to the Display Character Set, but
long lines are preserved so you can pass it to a helper app such as most,
which has horizontal scrolling, and advanced features suitable for a text
(as opposed to *hyper*text :) viewer, but not corresponding chartrans
support.  Lynx does not actually show the raw source, ever.  For that,
you must 'd'ownload the file and pass it to a helper app via that menu.
If disk caching is implemented, you still want options to examine it
with versus without non-ASCII character conversions, and with viewers
explicitly designed for the MIME type, including text/plain (at least,
I would :).

                                        Fote
--
Foteos Macrides