Re: lynx-dev lynx for WIN 3.1?

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx for WIN 3.1?
Date: Wed, 6 May 98 15:59:39 -0400

   The_guy_who_is_too_ashamed_of_himself_to_reveal_his_name
<address@hidden> wrote:

> >Since every machine running Windows v3.10 is also running DOS, you can
> >of course use the DOS version of Lynx, but I don't think this will help
> >you with AOL.
>
> That would be just ideal, under two circumstances: 1. You have something
> like the UMSLIP dialup program that loads itself into high memory and
> pretends to be a network card [...]

   Dunno about UMSLIP, I use CSLIPPER and have also used ETHERSL and Klos
PPP. But why in the world do you think that it has to load itself into high
memory? Sure, this saves precious conventional memory, but it's totally
optional.

> 2. You have some kind of a Dos interface
> to winsock.dll.

   Or even better the other way around: have DOS software establish the
network connection, load a DOS memory-resident TCP/IP stack, and then
either run DOS network apps or load Windows and run Windows network apps,
having a WINSOCK.DLL that's a wrapper around the DOS TCP/IP stack. That's
what was done at CWRU before this Win95 shit.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: address@hidden