Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 12:32:01 +0900 (JST)

>   3. Even if I used a proxy, it wouldn't be as fast as an in-core cache
>      inside Lynx's memory space.  The machines I'm using are mostly
>      memory-rich.  I don't want the "cache" to involve disk or network
>      access.  Lynx's internal cache of rendered pages is quite
>      satisfactorily fast; I want the same performance for changes in my

Some of us are still trying to catch up to modern times when it comes
to hardware.  Loading a ca. 200-page document into Lynx drags it and my
whole machine to a dead halt, and then when I quit Lynx it takes 10-20
minutes for the prompt to return.  A 1MB+ file would crash Lynx at the
2.5FM stage, though now there is protection for limited-resource machines.

One program which works great on my system is "most."  It cuts through
multi-MB files like they were going out of style, even with 20 students
logged on at the same time.  By a stroke of luck, the author, John Davis,
has recently been doing some wonderful work cleaning up the Lynx code, and
seems to be reading lynx-dev.  Perhaps he could offer some pointers as to
how Lynx could cache source efficiently.

Fote, rather than having you laughing in the aisles with my gibberish, could
you explain again the implications of cacheing?  Or Philip, do you have the
time to search the archives for the definitive answers by Fote (multiple times)
and Klaus, two developers who have passed up internal cacheing by Lynx.

__Henry