Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need for "re-try to get it"

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need for "re-try to get it"
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 04:31:32 -0700

David Combs wrote:

> Often when I type in eg "12" (numbered links) to go somewhere,
> it just waits -- or maybe comes back failing to find it,
> eg that all ports are taken.
>
> In either case, it speeds up things, it turns out, for me
> to "z" it, and try again, which often works, right quick.
>
> Now, if I am "at" that link, it's easy to re-try it; I
> just hit <return> or L, and I'm off.
>
> However, when I have typed in a number, eg 12, I have to
> remember what number I typed in, and do it again.
>
> Now, if I hit the up-arrow (not caret) key over to the
> right of the keyboard, and do it after a "g", it
> spits-out the last TYPED-IN (or on cmd line) address.
>
> Maybe it would be nice if that "12", or at least the
> addr it mapped to, was pushed onto that stack too?
> Then IT would be there when I hit that up-arrow.
>
> ----
>
> Or maybe there is already a key-cmd to re-try the prior thing,
> and I just don't know about it?

What if 12<Return> did:

  - follow link 12
  - remember that you were on link 12

i.e. as if you had typed 12g<Return>12<Return>?

I think this could be done by adding a:

                curdoc.link = newdoc.link;

into the code for DO_LINK_STUFF in LYMainLoop.c.  But I haven't tried
it.

Besides having the effect you're asking for, this would have another
effect that I've wished for.  Having followed that link normally, if you
went back (PREV_DOC), you would be positioned on link 12.  I use Lynx's
cache as a mental aide, to remember where I was in that document.  What
I want it to remember is exactly what you're asking for: which link I
had followed to get where I was.  Even if I wasn't on that link when I
followed it.