Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 10:39:29 +0100 (BST)

> Optionally, forget the parsed representation when moving to a different
> document, keeping only the source bytestream.  This saves memory (or
> disk) at the expense of CPU time when revisiting the page.

That CPU time is very significant, and why I would rather not have the
source cache (which you can do with CERN HTTP, anyway) rather than lose the
caching of the rendered document.

Lynx tends to be attractive to organisations where hardware cost is still
a real issue, and even I find that, when using character mode "Unix", my
home 386 SX/25 offers no great benefit over the office Pentium 90.  On
these low spec machines rendering a page can be a significant part of the
time to display.