Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 14:02:45 -0700

David Woolley wrote:

> > Optionally, forget the parsed representation when moving to a different
> > document, keeping only the source bytestream.  This saves memory (or
> > disk) at the expense of CPU time when revisiting the page.
>
> That CPU time is very significant, and why I would rather not have the
> source cache (which you can do with CERN HTTP, anyway) rather than lose the
> caching of the rendered document.

This is why I proposed it as an optional configuration.

_You_ "can do it with CERN HTTP".  I already went over some reasons that
I cannot.

> Lynx tends to be attractive to organisations where hardware cost is still
> a real issue, and even I find that, when using character mode "Unix", my
> home 386 SX/25 offers no great benefit over the office Pentium 90.  On
> these low spec machines rendering a page can be a significant part of the
> time to display.

And Lynx must be configured to suit local needs.  An organization with
the above low-spec machines should already be tuning DEFAULT_CACHE_SIZE.
Regarding my proposal, they would not turn on the source-caching
facility (which would probably be off, by default).