Re: lynx-dev Lynx386 with Slang

From: Bill Schiavo
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx386 with Slang
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:41:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone.

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Sun, 10 May 1998, Bill Schiavo wrote:
>
> > > thanks (I added DK's to my pending patch, will do this today).
> > Did he update his patch?  The previous patch he submitted has a problem.
> > You will loose your connection to the network if you try to use
> > applications that require the use of another tcp stack from within Lynx.
> > This is the result of a missing call to sock_init.  I sent my original
> > patch to Doug and he has included this missing call in his latest version.
>
> Quite correct about the missing sock_init. I am going to try to compile
> with Bill's patch today and see if I get any problems. I do have two
> questions about it, however. The PDCurses based functions that I took
> out were put back in (PDC_set_ctrl_break and PDC_get_ctrl_break).
> The LY_set_ctrl_break and LY_get_ctrl_break functions should work
> equally well for PDCurses since they are identical to the PDCurses
> functions for DOS. Is there a reason to have both in the code? Is this
> for compatibility with other systems that use PDCurses and have to set
> ctrl-break?
That was my thought originally when I included them but it may not be
necessary to have the ones from PDCurses in there.  I also noticed that
you have to include dos.h to get the functions you are using to compile so
I didn't think it should be necessary to include this file for the
pdcurses version.  Still, I am no PDCurses expert so if it would be better
to use your functions instead of those from PDCurses, I am all for it!

 The other question is about the makefile.wsl. You still
> have in RAWDOSKEYHACK. This was put in by Wayne and maps keys via the
> definitions in the PDCurses curses.h file to those used by lynx. Since
> you don't use these PDCurses mappings with the slang port, shouldn't we
> leave RAWDOSKEYHACK off the MCFLAGS in the makefile?
Oops, an oversite on my part.  That RAWDOSKEYHACK flag shouldn't be in
there!

> On a slightly different note, John E. Davis submitted a patch for
> keymaps with slang. This has a line that will break for DOS, setting
> keymap_file to "/.lynx-keymaps". If that patch goes into the code, can
> we put in an ifdef for FNAMES_8_3 making the file "_lynxkey.map" or
> something similar?

Um, that needs to be fixed!  I like the idea of making the keymap file
begin with the '_' character quite well.

Bill