Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx for DOS

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx for DOS
Date: Mon, 11 May 98 10:29:25 -0400

Doug Kaufman <address@hidden> wrote:
> My understanding is that for DOS applications, each application has its
> own built-in TCP/IP stack, as opposed to Windows applications that share
> a stack. The WATTCP stack is built into all the DOS binaries. What you
> need is a packet driver to interface with your system. For a serial
> dial-up connection, DOSPPP works well. For other connections, see the
> CRYNWR packet driver collection (ftp://ftp.crynwr.com/drivers/).

DOS apps that behave like this (e.g., the DJGPP version of Lynx) are COMPLETELY
MISGUIDED. This is NOT the proper way to write network software! I'm currently
working on a de jure specification that will standardize the interface between
DOS network apps and the system-wide TCP/IP stack and end the nonsense Mr.
Kaufman is so fond of.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 440-449-0299