Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx for DOS

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx for DOS
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 19:06:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> DOS apps that behave like this (e.g., the DJGPP version of Lynx) are
> COMPLETELY MISGUIDED. This is NOT the proper way to write network
> software! I'm currently working on a de jure specification that will
> standardize the interface between DOS network apps and the system-wide
> TCP/IP stack and end the nonsense Mr. Kaufman is so fond of.

As a non-programmer, I am not in a position to argue with you about the
merits of the way DOS networking software has been written to date.
However, when someone writes to the list for help, they are looking
for information that is defacto, rather than dejure. After giving
information on the programs and solutions that are currently available,
it is certainly reasonable, however, to indicate that a better solution
may be available in the future.

Let's try to separate discussion within the list about the way to go in
the future, from answers to those asking the list for help (which should
be simple, and to the point).
                              Doug

__
Doug Kaufman