Re: lynx-dev local use of Lynx?

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev local use of Lynx?
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 08:22:11 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Marco Morales said:

> I downloaded lynx for Win NT, and it works fine...
> although what I would REALLY like is a text browser that will read local
> files off my computer, so I can test my web pages before uploading them
> on the web.
>
> would Lynx do that?

Yes.

Explore what the use of file: URLs will do for you.

Suppose I have a page with the "DOS file name" of

  c:\wwwroot\html\foo.htm

Then to browse that file I would use the g)o command and answer
the dialog prompt with

  file://localhost/c:/wwwroot/html/foo.htm

In fact I recommend that you change the STARTFILE setting in
you lynx.cfg setup to start at a local file in this way.

Al

More info:

"finding and using lynx.cfg" in
http://www.access.digex.net/~asgilman/lynx/FAQ/

"Supported URLS.." in Lynx h)elp documentation.