Re: lpwa

From: Dave Kristol
Subject: Re: lpwa
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 14:04:48 -0400

Max Blanco wrote:

> Dave,
>
> re. this lynx bug thing...  I wrote to the lynx developers about it - I'd
> like them to fix it so I can use lynx with lpwa proxy.  Here is their
> reply:
> (sorry I'm using an antique Mail today, so no fancy indentation)
>
> to follow up on what Max Blanco said:
>
> > i seem to have found a bug in lynx.  it is deleting the trailing "."
> > from the domain name lpwa.com./ when i am trying to use the lucent
> > personal web assistant proxy at lpwa.com:8000
> > i have discussed this with one of the sysadmins at lpwa, and he is
> > satisfied that the bug exists with ylnx, and not with his server.
> > i am pretty sure he's right.
>
> I am not so sure.  See RFC-1738 on URLs.

I sent the following to Foteos Macrides, who said he would forward it to
the Lynx developers:

A user of our LPWA web proxy (<http://lpwa.com>) reported a problem,
which I traced to his Lynx v2.8.  The proxy's login form has METHOD=POST
and ACTION="http://lpwa./";.  Note the trailing '.' following "lpwa",
which is deliberate.  It appears that Lynx discards the trailing '.',
which leads to the login process's failing.

There was some discussion on http-wg about trailing '.'s in domain
names.  (RFC 1034 refers to them as absolute domain names):

   - a character string which represents a complete domain name
     (often called "absolute").  For example, "poneria.ISI.EDU."

Roy Fielding finally weighed in on my side with this example to point
out its necessity:  At UCI there's a College of Medicine, whose
sub-domain is, yes, ".com".  So there are local addresses of the form
"mach.com" which resolve in their local DNS to mach.com.uci.edu.  If
they want to visit the site for *company* "mach", they would have to say
http://mach.com./....

The latest version of the URI spec. allows trailing '.' in domain names.

I hope that's enough evidence to lead to a Lynx fix. :-)

Dave Kristol

----- End of forwarded message from Dave Kristol -----