Re: lynx-dev Re: getting a whole list of URLs

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: getting a whole list of URLs
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 20:45:01 -0400 (EDT)

980523 Al Gilman wrote:
> c 980521 Lucian ION - 2AC said:
>> 980523 Al Gilman wrote:
>>> Find -source under "lynx command line" in the User's Guide
>>> for basic orientation, then try a few.
>> It worked!!!! (for a file that contains the URL's only, one per line).
>> But the file I want to read is an HTML file
>> and I'm not that good on shell programmin' to read the URL's from it.
>> (I'm a newbie, I've just heard of UNIX, about three months ago).
>> I want to use the -traversal option, but I'm having troubles:
>> I've read somewhere a command line that looks like this:
>>  lynx -crawl -traversal -realm  .HTML-FILE
>> the html-file is the file that contains those URL's I have to donwnload.
>> The problem is that when I click to an URL to a binary file
>> (or when lynx goes to that URL with -traversal)(ex. JPG),
>> my lynx seem to "load" that file (I see the message
>> "Read xxx bytes of xxxx bytes of data".  I wait for "loading",
>> but when it's over, the lynx remains to the same page,
>> I don't get any message "download? Y or cancel",
>> and I don't even see those binary characters of the file).
>> So, the JPG file remains unsaved when I use -traverse.
>> I tried to pause the computer immediatly after the bytes are read
>> and I saw the message: "xv:  can't initialize display".
>> I'm working on a text-type terminal, so I think the problem is
>> that the lynx is somehow setted to run xv after loading a .jpg file.
>> I don't know how this is done, maybe in the .cfg file.
> what I hear is that you really want to use Wget and not lynx.
> For finding lynx.cfg there are a few hints in
>  http://www.access.digex.net/~asgilman/lynx/FAQ/
> Search for "lynx.cfg" with '/'.

we should tell you where to find  wget :
 ftp://gnjilux.cc.fer.ht/pub/unix/util/wget/ ;
also,  htget  might be relevant from
 http://www.ensta.fr/internet/unix/www/htget.html  (or other places).

it looks as if you need to change  lynx.cfg  to delete use of  xv ,
after which Lynx might in fact do the job.