lynx-dev Lynx v2.7.2MS is now underway

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx v2.7.2MS is now underway
Date: Tue, 26 May 98 01:29:52 -0400

Effective 25-MAY-1998 I have filled the position of Hone Kay Pro Tempore of
Foteos Macrides' True Lynx. I have started a branch of development named Lynx
v2.7.2MS, which starts off with Fote's v2.7.2 with bugfixes and will
eventuually culminate with the official v2.7.3 release. My current code will
always be available at:

ftp://blackwidow.cwru.edu/home/msokolov/pub/unix/lynx/

There will always be a source distribution named lynx2-7-2ms.zip (that's what
you'll find there if you look now), but I may also provide precompiled
executables for the two platforms I use (Ritchie/Thompson/Kernighan/Berkeley
UNIX(R) on DEC VAX and MS-DOS(R) on IBM PC).

1998-05-25
* BIG CHANGE: Removed the multitude of directories under WWW/Library and
  replaced them with one unix directory with one platform-independent Makefile.
  All platform-dependent options are now consolidated in the top-level
  Makefile, which passes some of them to the Makefile in WWW/Library/unix on
  the command line. Among other great benefits, this eliminates the need for
  makefile includes, a major source of headache. I have also modified this
  Makefile not to use the -o option for cc. See the comments inside for more
  info. - MS
* Added the consolidated BSD target covering Berkeley UNIX(R) and its
  derivatives like VAX Ultrix, BSDI, and Free/Net/OpenBSD. The present targets
  for the last two will eventually be removed, but I have kept them for now
  since they support ncurses and slang while I don't have the BSD-ncurses and
  BSD-slang targets yet. - MS
* Removed the ifdefing in HTUtils.h that assumed that VAX UNIX means Ultrix.
  Not only is it insulting to the original VAX UNIX(R) on which Ultrix is
  based, but it's also unnecessary and produces a compiler warning on Ultrix
  where the "ultrix" symbol is already always defined. - MS
* Fixed some compiler warnings in HTFile.c. Everywhere else it casts the return
  value from malloc() to a char *, but in three places it was simply assigned
  to a char * var. I added the casts there too. - MS
* Fixed a compiler warning in HTFile.c. It was defining HT_EM_SPACE which is
  already defined in HTMLDTD.h and causing a redefinition warning. Since
  HTFile.c has no need for this definition whatsoever, I simply removed it.
  - MS
* Fixed a compiler warning in HTMLGen.c. In two places it was comparing an int
  with an enum value (HTMLElement), and the VAX Ultrix C compiler doesn't like
  this. Using casts solves the problem. - MS
* Fixed a compiler warning in HTAnchor.c. It was the same problem with the
  malloc() return value as in HTFile.c. The fix is also the same. - MS
* Fixed a compiler warning in HTTelnet.c. It was defining HT_NO_DATA which is
  already defined in HTAccess.h and causing a redefinition warning. Since
  HTAccess.h is always included by HTTelnet.c, I simply removed the definition
  in the latter. - MS
* Fixed a pack of compiler errors and warnings in HTAAServ.c. As horrifying as
  it may sound, the code is using an enum (HTAAScheme) as a loop counter. At
  least one C compiler (the VAX Ultrix one) is angered by this and produces a
  pack of errors and warnings, preventing Lynx from compiling. I have fixed the
  problem by adding some casts. - MS
* Fixed a pack of compiler errors and warnings in HTAABrow.c. The same problem
  as in HTAAServ.c: careless mixing of ints and enums. The fix is the same too:
  throw in some casts. - MS
* Fixed a HUGE pack of compiler errors and warnings in HTML.c. The same
  problem as elsewhere: careless mixing of ints and enums. The fix is the same
  too: throw in some casts (although now in a LOT of places). - MS
* Fixed 3 compiler warnings in LYLocal.c. In 3 places the return values from
  HTList functions (macros actually), which are void *'s, were assinged to char
  * vars without casts. Adding the casts removes the warnings. - MS
* Fixes 2 compiler errors in LYLocal.c. In 2 places the '=' and unary '*'
  operators were spliced together, and the faithful K&R C compiler treats this
  as an old-fashioned assignment operator. Adding a space between them solves
  the problem. - MS
* Fixes a few compiler warnings in LYCharUtils.c. The same problem as
  elsewhere: careless mixing of ints and enums. The fix is the same too: throw
  in some casts. - MS
* Fixes a few compiler warnings in LYCookie.c. There were a few problems with
  pointer types, all fixed by adding casts. - MS

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 440-449-0299
ARPA Internet SMTP mail: address@hidden