Re: lynx-dev Lynx for OS/2

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx for OS/2
Date: 26 May 1998 06:51:48 -0600

JP> Is there a README.OS2 for building the OS/2 version? I have never
JP> had any success trying to get autoconf to work. I assume I need
JP> gnuaconf.zip from LEO....

I'm working on it.  It's going to be included in the binary
distribution archive and in the wrapper-around-the-source archive I'll
put on hobbes when I have time.  A worthwhile question:  I know some
of the people on this list have been working on the documentation.
Would you (documentation volunteers) prefer that I write up a separate
README.OS2 file, or that I write up patches to the standard INSTALL,
etc files?

As for getting autoconf to work, I don't know about gnuaconf.zip from
LEO; get a patched Autoconf for OS/2 from Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll's
web page, http://www.arrakis.es/.  You need all of the gnu shell
utilities, gnu text utilities, a good sh (either pdksh or ash), m4,
sed, and awk.  Follow the instructions in
http://www.arrakis.es/acemx.html for running configure.

>> I have not yet put together a binary
>> distribution package for the archive sites, but I am working on it.
>> Unfortunately I continue to be very busy, and am also having hardware
>> troubles.  When I get it packaged up, it will be on Hobbes and
>> elsewhere.

JP> That would be great. An announcement in the comp.os.os2.announce
JP> newsgroup and the os2-isp mailing list would be useful too.

Yes, of course.

JP> BTW it would be nice if LYNX.CFG could be automatically located in
JP> %ETC% rather than \mptn\etc.

Lynx doesn't look in \mptn\etc (though the people who did the 2.7.2
port may have hardcoded that).  I originally didn't make it look in
%ETC% so as not to conflict with Lynx/2.  By now that's not likely to
be a problem, so I'll see about changing that once I get my hardware
problems sorted out.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |