Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:04:12 -0400 (EDT)

> What I do to find a file is this:
>
>   du -a / >! bigdua.out
I use some type of 'find' command and pipe it into my directory editor, e.g.,

        find . -type f -mtime -10 -print |ded

and yes, GNU grep lets me type

        find   -type f -mtime -10        |ded

> That takes a while; but then I can grep the
> thing, and that's FAST (with gnu egrep, LIGHTENING
> fast).
I timed GNU grep a few years ago, comparing it against SunOS grep.  At that
time it was indeed 5 times faster.  However, more recent timing (on SunOS,
Solaris, etc.) doesn't show any advantage wrt speed (though I use some of
the options that aren't in the other versions of grep).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden