Finding files (was Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg)

From: Natarajan Krishnaswami
Subject: Finding files (was Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:27:46 -0400

>>>>> "pg" == pg  <address@hidden> writes:

    pg> In a recent note, David Combs said:
    >> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 05:42:16 -0700 (PDT)
    >>
    >> What I do to find a file is this:
    >>
    >> du -a / >! bigdua.out

    pg> Does du have any advantages over find?

No: both use only inode operations in this case so there should be
little additional cost either way.  However, if you have the GNU
findutils, you already have something like this, locate:

    `locate' searches special file name databases for file
    names that match patterns.  The system administrator
    runs the `updatedb' program to create the databases.

HTH,
N.