Re: lynx-dev Lynx download problem

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx download problem
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 16:13:57 -0400

Jacob Poon <address@hidden> wrote:
>Tested on:
>==========
>
>Lynx 2.7.2 (SunOS 5.5.1)
>
>When I go to this place:
>
>http://www.avp.ru/
>
>Lynx gives this message:
>
>text/html;charset=windows-1251  D)ownload, or C)ancel
>
>Instead of viewing this page on screen, Lynx asked me to download the
web
>page.  Does it have to do with the page's encoding?  (It is Russian,
btw.)

Yes, but you must be using the vanilla v2.7.2 release from Jan. 4, not
v2.7.2+fixes.  During the 2-3 weeks after that release and before my
full departure, Leonid and I did a number of improvements in the
Russian/Cyrillic charset handling, so that all of them yield full
conversions
to your Display Character Set or to safe approximations.  Those tweaks
were also made in the devel code that became v2.8.   Download offers
aren't forced, now, because there's no concern about unsafe characters
getting through.

Well...  I've since become aware that Ukranian is missing from that set,
so the above is true for "almost" all of them. :)

Both v2.7.2 and v2.7.2+fixes are old, now unsupported code.   If you
want code that is actively supported (by others :), you should use
v2.8[.1dev#] or v2.7.2MS.

Fote
--
Foteos Macrides