gzexe (was Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: gzexe (was Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 19:09:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 28 May 1998, David Combs wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:56:31 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Doug Kaufman <address@hidden>
> > Your lynx program was compressed with gzexe. To examine the lynx.cfg
>
> That's so cool -- that here on netcom I can gzip the few
> programs I need to run that I have to have in my own
> max of 5.5mb "free" disk, with out paying $$$ extra.
>
> I looked at the man file for gzexe, found nothing about
> how to set up such a combined sh-script---gz'd binary.
>
> Do you have anything on it, or can you maybe point me
> at it?

If you have gzexe, it is quite simple. "gzexe filename" will compress
the executable "filename", while "gzexe -d filename" will reverse the
process. gzexe, itself, is a shell script, so you can read it to see
exactly what it is doing. If you don't have it, it is part of the gzip
package. The current version is 1.2.4. The home page is
"http://www.gzip.org/";.
                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman