Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 09:21:51 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> > Not all "strings" were created equal.
>
> You're not kidding there!
>
> > Try "objdump" from the GNU binutils
> > instead, or find/port a real "strings" to your architecture.
>
> Now this is a useful tip!  Thanks Ben for your always "on the nail head"
> help.  (Still working on aview, but I'll get it one of these days.)

By the way, I got aaview to compile and run under Cygnus GNU-win32 with no
major problems beyond the usual addition of .exe at the appropriate
points in the makefile. I built it with ncurses and it works beautifully
with Lynx32 and my own lynx 2.8 ncurses win32 port. Now I don't have to
wrap my image viewer in a script to convert /'s to \'s.

Oh yes, recent versions of SLiRP will do PPP, SLIP and CSLIP. I've tested
it with WinNT and the two lynx builds mentioned above, and it works ok. If
you have access to a shell account, but not to a PPP or SLIP account, and
you'd rather run lynx (or some other browser) on your machine than on your
ISP's machine (for example, because you have a LAN you'd like to access
web pages from at the same time, or because you'd like to use dired mode
on local directories) then you should check out

http://www.webcom.com/~llarrow/slirp.html

Of course, SLiRP can help you no matter what OS you run on your machine,
since it acts pretty much like a standard PPP or (C)SLIP server with some
ports blocked. Using a Linux machine, SLiRP, and IP masquerading, you can
connect an entire LAN to the net using a single shell account.

--
"Benjamin C. W. Sittler" <address@hidden>
 JI  U  H  Y  K  C