lynx-dev bash remembers binary location (was search.lexmark.com)

From: Dennis Reichel
Subject: lynx-dev bash remembers binary location (was search.lexmark.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 14:42:56 -0400 (EDT)

> # Is it possible that linux caches binaries and allows you to
> # run the cached copy
>
> You're not running any kind of caching filesystems, are you?
> If not, then I'd say that Linux isn't.  Is the path to the
> new program the same as the old one?

The old lynx: /usr/bin/lynx

The new Lynx: /usr/local/bin/lynx

Bash was caching the last *location* it saw the binary.  (not the
image of the binary)

"which" traverses the $PATH and finds the first match every time
it's invoked.  bash remembers the last place it found the file.

In fact :) when I mv /usr/bin/lynx /usr/bin/lynx.2.5 and then try to
invoke lynx from a "stale shell", I get:

        bash: /usr/bin/lynx: No sush file or directory

And the "which" command still picks up on the /usr/local/bin/lynx.

This may or may not be of any interest, but if the question was worth
asking in the first place, and I find the anwer..  then I should probably
post it.

Dennis