Re: lynx-dev unable to connect to some URL's

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev unable to connect to some URL's
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 16:19:38 -0700

On Thu, Jun 04, 1998, Lew King <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am using lynx version 2.6 on a BSDI Unix server.  It will not
> connect to some URL's such as  http://99er.interspeed.net  the
> message Alert!: unable to connect to remote host  is recieved.
> Would a newer version of lynx correct this problem?

It couldn't hurt.  I just connected without a problem with
a fairly recent version of lynx (post-2.8).  It could be a
problem other than with lynx, though.  In fact, the page you
asked about included the following paragraph:

        As far as problems with being able to get to this
        page, my service provider, Interspeed, has sent out
        several e-mails about the situation. In addition to a
        problem with ATMnet in Southern California, it seems
        that they will be installing a new router as well as
        a new server. I guess that the good news is that they
        promise that with these additions, things will speed up a
        bit. Let's hope so!

...so, it might well have been a problem at his end.

Even so, 2.6 is a fairly old version, there have been quite
a few changes and improvements since then, and if you have
the option of installing the current version, it would
probably be worth your while.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>