Re: lynx-dev Comment command: <Default=WebMaster> rarely accepted

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Comment command: <Default=WebMaster> rarely accepted
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 01:21:31 -0400 (EDT)

980604 Nicholas Bodley (any relation to Sir Thomas?) wrote:
> I'm one of the small minority running a legacy PC (H-P Vectra 386/16N)
> who depends upon and really appreciates Lynx.
>
> When I use the Comment command, and typically find no owner defined,
> 2.7.1 (+ updates) offers to do a  Mailto:WebMaster@<domain> .
> I've had numerous bounced messages, apparently because the embedded "M"
> causes address lookups to find "no such address" at the domain.
> Not sure about the cap "W". Also not sure whether this was fixed in V2.8.

you really should update to 2-8 from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ ,
which contains many advances on 2-7-1.

as for your problem, i'ld say it's not the capital letters,
which i always thought were ignored in an e-address,
but `webmaster' itself, which many sites may not recognise.
there was a bit of discussion of  c  recently:
look in the Archive at  www.flora.org/lynx-dev/ .

> So glad to have frame handling, and the * command!
> Just let me thank the lynx-dev community in general;
> your work is greatly appreciated!

friendly feedback always encourages Lynx's volunteer developers.