Re: lynx-dev email in lynx

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev email in lynx
Date: 05 Jun 1998 14:01:07 -0600

>> I don't know of anyone actively working on this.  In fact, the most
>> common complaint I heard before recent versions of navigator was
>> that folk wished they didn't have things bundled in like
>> communicator.  And I have heard on this list requests to keep the
>> lynx source and executable small.

H> Even the navigator stand alone browser has full email capabiliy.  I
H> use lynx for DOS.  A suggestion is to develop a separate program to
H> handle mail, and people could use one or the other or both.  If
H> both are on the system then, people could handle HTML mail as well.

There are plenty of standalone character-mode mailer applications.  I
know that there is a DOS version of PINE; I recommend that you look
into that.  It can be conveniently started from a jumps file in Lynx,
from a lynxexec: url, or from a special URL using externals.  It is
unnecessary for us to develop one specifically for use with Lynx.

HTML email is an abomination, of course, but you may be able to
configure your mailer to use lynx -force-html as a pager (shudder).

Lynx integrates well with other stand-alone programs; the addition of
irrelevant (i.e. non-browser-related) features to Lynx is
unnecessary.  It is sufficient that each program do its job capably.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |