lynx-dev SSL + 2.8 - reliable core

From: Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ
Subject: lynx-dev SSL + 2.8 - reliable core
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 18:41:37 -0500 (CDT)

Sigh. I just wasted close to 4 hours trying to build SSLey and lynx 2.8
on a system that limits the # of open handles and is so paranoid they
don't even allow 'getcwd/pwd' in /tmp. Anyways, lynx ran fine up until
it encountered the very first https url and then VERY reliably:

-----------------chop-with-axe----------------chop-with-axe---------------------
A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.8rel.2

Please notify your system administrator to confirm a bug, and
if confirmed, to notify the lynx-dev list.  Bug reports should
have concise descriptions of the command and/or URL which causes
the problem, the operating system name with version number, the
TCPIP implementation, and any other relevant information.

Do NOT mail the core file if one was generated.

Lynx now exiting with signal:  11

Abort (core dumped)

/home/filipg> gdb ssl_lynx/bin/lynx2.8.ssl core
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (i586-unknown-linux), Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `/home/filipg/ssl_lynx/bin/lynx2.8.ssl -color -historical
-soft_dquotes
-cfg=/ho'.
Program terminated with signal 6, IOT trap/Abort.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libslang.so.0.99.37...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.5.3.12...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.5.0.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
#0  0x400679e9 in __kill ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x400679e9 in __kill ()             <- shopping cart gets flat tire here
#1  0x400a3775 in gsignal ()
#2  0xbfffdef8 in ?? ()                 <- You got me, no $%^& clue
#3  0x80a38b4 in getsockname ()         <- these are calls made to
#4  0x80a3bd6 in getsockname ()            the shopping-cart cgi
#5  0x80a3fba in getsockname ()
#6  0x805a66d in getsockname ()
#7  0x805f2af in getsockname ()
#8  0x805cf4e in getsockname ()
#9  0x804a4eb in getsockname ()

Just for kicks, I can't run it with the source tree installed because of quota
problems... also, there is no way in hell I can have the SSLey (latest, 0.9.0)
src tree open at the same time!  Unless someone can build me a non-stripped,
"-g" linux 2.0.3x (x>=2) binary of ssl_lynx to try here, I can't progress any
further than above.

I just blew away the whole install tree and am back to 2.8rel.2 less SSL. $%#&!

This is more along the lines of a "FYI" since I let my membership in the
lynx-dev list expire after the last "address purge"...

Fil "Where's that damned cordless phone" G.