Re: lynx-dev A public Lynx Browser in Europe?

From: ted threw
Subject: Re: lynx-dev A public Lynx Browser in Europe?
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:41:28 PDT

I don't know of any telnetable browsers in Europebut there are scads of
them in the US.You can telnet to many public libraries and choose the
internet access option on the menu.telnet://sailor.lib.md.us is one in
Maryland that is easy to use.There are also "freenets"you can join ,but
you have to register first.However you will then have your own bookmark
file from which will survive from session to session.telnet://efn.org is
one of them.If you want more libraries or freenets let me know.
  Until about 6 weeks ago I used to telenet from my home in Spain to a
site in Finland < ircf.funet.fi >   where I could enter WWW via lynx
and go to random URLs  and generally have the run of internet.

I loved it. I could do searches on ALTAVISTA at speeds which surpassed
those of much, much faster machines which had to grapple with graphics
etc. (I use an ageing 386PC ).
But suddenly and with no warning it stopped. I tried telnetting  w3.org
which had  also allowed WWW accesss but  got the same result.
Since then I've had to queue up to use a machine which takes ages to
download unwanted graphics along with the text I'm  interested  in.
Is there anyone out there who can  direct me to a TELNET address for
a lynx browser in Europe so that I can once more enjoy unfetterd access
to the web? Or could I load Lynx onto my 386PC with 4 Mg RAM and 100Mg
HD.?

If you can be of any help I would really appreciate it if you would
Email me at < address@hidden >.

Thanks
Victor Reynolds <address@hidden>