lynx-dev Re: unanswered query (2): firewall FTP problem

From: Frodo Looijaard
Subject: lynx-dev Re: unanswered query (2): firewall FTP problem
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:45:42 +0200 (CEST)

> 980604 Frodo Looijaard wrote:
> > My provider has set up a Novell Netware proxy server.
> > Both ftp and http traffic have to go through this server.
> > Netscape seems to work for both, lynx does http OK but refuses to ftp.
> > This happens for both lynx 2.7.1 and lynx 2.8.
> > My system is Linux with kernel 2.0.34pre12b.
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                       2.0.34 plain by now. No change, of course.

> > Settings in lynx.cfg:
> >   http_proxy:http://10.1.1.1:8080/
> >   ftp_proxy:http://10.1.1.1:8080/
>               ^^^^
> just a thought: should this be  ftp ?
No it shouldn't. The problem is that a http-protocol is used to access
things which usually can only be accessed through a ftp-protocol. So you
can't use normal ftp-clients either - they do no speak http.

[Output stripped completely away]
> no-one took this up: maybe Frodo found a simple solution.
> is Frodo still concerned or does anyone at lynx-dev have ideas?
> again, it happens with 2-8.
The only solution I have found is to use Netscape :-(. And I still care.
Though they have made the proxy optional again for now, this will probably
not last long...
If any lynx-guru could point me in the correct direction, I would even be
willing to try fixing it myself.

Thanks,
  Frodo

PS I have found the list-archive to work very well, so my not being
   subsribed to lynx-dev is no longer important. Cc:'s still welcome, of
   course :-)

--
Frodo Looijaard <address@hidden>
Find my PGP public key and more at http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol/