lynx-dev Lynx and libwww5.x?

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx and libwww5.x?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 12:18:31 -0400

Someone had mentioned adding libwww5 to lynx before, so I tried my best to
answer this question (other than re-building sources).

I have checked various sources to Lynx binaries, C compilers, and libwww5,
and came up some results.  If one wants to build binary Lynx, with latest
libwww (5.1m by now), it will require an ANSI/ISO-C compilance compiler.
Since GCC/DJGPP compiler meet such standard and freely available, I use it
to determine what platform will lose if libwww5 is used (also based on
current availability of current lynx binaries), and come up with following
conclusions:

Platforms that may lose future Lynx support:

Rhapsody - some kind of Power PC - based OS.  Lose support due to lack of
gcc.  However other ANSI C compilers may be available.

Mac - Lose support due to lack of gcc.  However other ANSI C compilers are
available (at least commercially).

DOS - Lose support because libwww 5.x has no explicit support for DOS
(other than Win32 console). On the other hand, FDISK's DOSLYNX use a
different library from the one Unix Lynx and W3C versions, it is hard to
tell whether future DOSLYNX's own W3 libraries will properly implement
libwww 5.x features at all.

Other platforms that had pre-built Lynx binaries distribution - Apparantly
supported, but not necessarily tested.

In other words, unless you are building Lynx on Rhapsody, Mac, and/or
(especially) DOS (or persistence to K&R's C), adding libwww 5.x to Lynx
source should not lose support to Lynx's targeted platforms, at least
after cleaning up pre-ANSI C issues and other platform-specific issues,
with the help of ANSI C compilers.

On the other hand, libwww 5.x provides autoconf to get around some issues
of lacking ANSI C compilance, so the spectrum of libwww support in Lynx is
actually broader.

P.S. Anyone tried to compile Lynx on BeOS yet?