lynx-dev Compiling lynx Development Version 2.8.1dev.16 on VMS

From: chris . doran
Subject: lynx-dev Compiling lynx Development Version 2.8.1dev.16 on VMS
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:34:36 +0100

The following compilation errors were encountered executing BUILD.COM on
OpenVMS V6.2 Alpha and VAX, DEC C V5.2-003, UCX, DEC curses.

** PLEASE NOTE: The workarounds suggested below are total hacks to get it
to compile. I have no idea what I am doing, and have not carried out any
kind of testing at all on the resultant image beyond reading a local HTML
file. I am just posting this note in the hope that the developers, when
they recover from laughing at my idiocy, will provide the proper fixes.

1) tcp.h tries to #include non-existent "sys/filio.h"
     Workaround: Remove the #include line -- everything still compiles.

2) LYMail.c references undefined symbols "header" and "tilde".
     Workaround: Remove the CTRACE(...) line referencing header (line
1522).
          Change tilde to literal string "~" (line 883).

3) LYReadcfg.c contains numerous references in PARSE_STR(...) macro calls
to strings which LYGlobaldefs.h explicitly excludes from definition on VMS.
    Workaround: Disable these definitions with #ifndef VMS.

4) LYUtils.c contains an extra close curly bracket (}) somewhere.
     Workaround: delete the one at line 3793 (No, I don't have any real
reason for choosing that particular one, except that doing so seems to
match the indentation scheme!)

5) Some source files are getting big. HTML.c failed to compile on VAX/VMS
with a "compiler abort - virtual memory limits exceeded"  on my user
account with page file quote 30145. Fortunately, I have the password to the
SYSTEM account, page file quota 39743, which was enough.